3.10.2011

and it came to pass...

Okay, so Gabe's not quite 2 yet... but the Terrible Two's have definitely begun. I don't even want to think about the tantrums we've had in our house this week. I lost count after about 50. It has been a very difficult, stressful week, especially since Gabe is recovering from a nasty case of RSV. I'm trying to be patient. I'm trying to be understanding. I remind myself constantly that I love my child more than life itself... I just don't like this phase. He continues to do the same naughty things every day, even when we've told him countless times not to do them. He knows there are consequences, but he crosses the line anyway. And then, when we tell him 'no', he FREAKS OUT. He throws the typical tantrum; screaming, flailing on the ground, weeping, wailing, gnashing of teeth. You know what I'm talking about. My sister suggested that I start putting him in time-out, which will require patience on my part. I can just imagine how time-out will work for my almost-21-month old, but I'm desperate for a breakthrough at this point. As for now, I'm living for the moments when he's happy and funny and cute. He really is a sweet little boy, and he makes us laugh all the time. I love him like I've never loved anyone before, so please don't think any different. Do, however, feel free to share any ideas you may have for dealing with this lovely time in my toddler's life:) I'm open for suggestions!

*T

7 comments:

Travis, Shantell, and Family said...

Tytan is about the same age as Gabe and he to pushes buttons (which I think is more of a boy thing!) I agree with Maddy in putting him in time out! I seriously give Tytan 1 warning and say," You do it again you go to time out!" At first it stunk, I felt like I was putting myself in time out and I was putting him in time-out a hundred times a day but with time he knew mom meant business! But now it is so nice because I put Ty in time-out he stays there for the one minute, I tell him what he did wrong and that I need him to do better, and then we end with an I love you and a Hug! I promise sometimes the hug is more for me because it reminds me that even though I have steam blowing through my ears I love him! Whatever you decide just go all out and NEVER for one second let your guard down or you will go through it all over again! Good LUCK!

Emmy Montez said...

OH, man, the age-old question...;) It is super difficult trying to teach these little ones self-control, and every kid is different in what works. I do the count to 3 thing, and if she doesn't stop she goes to time-out in her room. (she can't open the door w/child lock on it) It has worked surprisingly well....Good luck, and hang in there! I've learned so much about myself these past 3 years being a mother!

Angela said...

BE CONSISTENT. is that even how it is spelt? Whatever you decide is best for Gabe (and it might take a few tries before you realize what works best)be consistent at it!!!

AND prepare yourself for the next few years...in my experince it last a whole lot longer than just a single year. In fact I had one mommy tell me it doesn't really get better until 5!!! eek

Brooks said...

I agree with Angela. It gets gradually better, and they are pretty much cured by 5. Give or take an exorcism...

The key os to start EARLY! I know that it seems WAY too early for Gabe to sit in a time out, but my youngest has been doing them from the age of 15 months. He now even says sorry in sign language and verbally when he's done with his minute. They know the procedure and they thrive in routine. And seriously, the earlier they start, the easier it is. You know the phrase, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks"? I'm pretty sure that applies to children as well... good luck!

Jenny Ramsey said...

pray every day and keep chocolate on hand. :)

Unknown said...

HI LADY! SO honestly-time out is rediculous for tantrums. When we had tantrums as children my parents gave us a "cold shower" honestly---it is AWESOME, and works better than spanking, time-out, and yelling your frustrations. When they are balistic You simply turn the water on cold-put them in-with clothes on---do it immediately so they understand why---hold there hand while they are in there screaming, 10 seconds later turn it off----and talk to them about changing their behavior-or this will be their consequence. Then hug, change clothes, etc. I can honestly say I have given Bentley like 5 in his life. He is now 4 and fabulous! He understands rules and is a GEM! Goodluck :)

Unknown said...

sorry-byron is me-monique :) I forgot to sign him out.