1.12.2010

paradise

Our Home Teachers came on Sunday and gave us the lesson based on Elder Uchtdorf's message "Hold On a Little Longer". During the lesson (taught by 16-year old Daniel), we were asked why it was even worth it to endure through trials. The first thing that came to my mind was a scripture found in The Book of Mormon in Alma 40:12 :
"And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow."
I then explained that, during my mission, we taught many lessons about the Plan of Salvation. This particular scripture refers to the Spirit World and those who will be rewarded with "paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace". Those of us who endure the trials and continue to live in righteousness will be received in this state of happiness. No matter how difficult our trials may become, if we just hold on a little longer, we will know the worth of enduring to the end. I then likened this to childbirth. During my pregnancy, I (like most women) endured just about every pain and heartache typical of carrying a child: nausea, heartburn, weight gain, back pain, swelling, heightened emotions, headaches, stretchmarks, and the overall discomfort of being pregnant. But, like most women, I endured through the pregnancy, labor, and delivery (involving even even more pain and discomfort), only to receive the most wonderful reward: my sweet son. My work was only beginning, but enduring the trial of it all rewarded me with one of the greatest blessings of my life. The same goes for our journey here on this earth; no matter what trials may come, if we but endure them in righteousness we will soon enough rest from our troubles, and from all care and sorrow. I know that there will be work to do once we cross through the veil, but it will be the most important work we can do. Life is a test, but we are not alone. We have help from family, friends, church leaders, and our Father in Heaven. Stay faithful, my friends. Stay strong, and you will receive your reward.
*T

No comments: